Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nettlen, Designer Scrub Hats- why HATS?!?!


As many of you may know I have strong ties in the medical community in Savannah. I have grown to know and love surgical and clinical staff members at The Southeastern Orthopedic Center/ The Doctors Hospital of Tattnall in Savannah and Reidsville, Georgia. As well as, a multitude of surgical staff member at St. Joseph's/ Candler hospital and the many surgical supply reps that worked with these places.

One day, I was talking with one of my friends who made mention that the ORs could use my designer talents. You see, the OR staff members are generally dressed in "hospital issued" scrubs and/ or are restricted to one particular color of scrubs to identify their specialty/ department. In addition, they wear "less than flattering" in appearance, disposable hats and hair nets. Most of my nurse friends main complain was that you had no way of personalizing yourself. No way to make you feel pretty, or unique with your appearance.

I was invited into an OR observe a surgery and experienced this first hand.... Everyone was dressed in surgical blue, faces covered with sterile face masks, heads covered in lunch-lady like hair nets. Eyes were all I saw, and I couldn't recognize a single person.... even those I have known for years.

After the procedure, I went home and started sketching...HATS!!! Not a typical item you might see me working on in my studio, after all I am a mean dressmaker~ But this was important to me....

As I sketched and started playing with muslin I thought of ALL of the people who could benefit from these jewels....my mind wandered to my mother, long gone...12 years now, taken from us by cancer. How she hated her wigs after chemo... and summer in the South especially. She would have loved one of these hats~ And my younger sister, Jillian Seals, an organic farmer in Kauai, HI. Those in the fields all day with little to shield their heads from the sun. Mothers going into the OR for a C-Section and the dad's and family that accompany them, wanting to look their best on their big day. Just to name a few~ And so....HATS I made!

What is next you ask? Stay tuned!

To see more about Faden Design Studios line of Nettlen Scrub Hats please go to www.nettlen.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment